Darkest Dreams, let's talk about my first published game EVER! Part 1



Hello again guys, so as I said in my last post, Darkest Dreams was the first game I ever published, so let's talk about it a little bit, how did I start making it, the idea, the obstacles that came in my way and the uhhm somehow fail of the game... yeah that's how it is with about 90% of indie game devs, only a tiny bit of them tend to really find success.


  • The Idea, how? when? why?
So, before starting to talk, it's good to mention that i myself enjoy puzzle games, TOO MUCH THAT YOU CAN'T BELIEVE IT!

Yes, I'm not joking here, that's a real thing.

So that actually explains why I made a puzzle game, and why I tend to make only puzzle games (I don't know if that's real or not actually :P), but yeah.

So first off, I told my self that I need to make a game. But what was that game going to be? I didn't have an idea, then I said : "hey lemme make something i actually love and enjoy", and that was it, A PUZZLE GAME, that's where I started to think about the concept, I wanted to make something different, mechanically unique somehow, so this took a little bit of time (finding the idea).

After some time of thinking, sleeping and eating (of course), I got the idea, CLEARING BLOCKS IN A PLATFORMER WAY, get it?NO? pftt why do I have to explain everything?

So the basic idea was to make a game, where you play as a character which can only jump from block to block, jumping on these blocks clears it (unless it's one of these annoying ones that you need to step over it twice to clear it), here is where everthing started, the next day, the real work started, PROGRAMMING!

  • The making of the game
Here's where magic actually happened (you know what I mean right?), so after getting the mechanics a little done, I started making these "not so good-looking programmer art", it's not bad, but not good either, all I cared about is the gameplay, after some time, i got myself a pretty good playable game, with few levels, here's a screenshot :
Please ignore the white part of the screenshot, was having some scaling issues (ahhh, too many android phones :/)

After some time, things started to get a little bit complicated, not in making the game, but my personal being, I started to lose motivation seeing too many indie games fail, tried to keep going but I couldn't hide that I was going from 100 to 0 easily, that's when things got even more complicated and university started, that's when i actually dropped the whole project, leaving it in the dust...

That's it for part 1, stay tuned for other parts :) Thanks for stopping by and reading this.


Darkest Dreams, let's talk about my first published game EVER! Part 1 Darkest Dreams, let's talk about my first published game EVER! Part 1 Reviewed by Reda Kaafarani on 1:01 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.